Bhogi is a day before Makar Sankranti and the food prepared on this day truly celebrates the beautiful winter produce. On this day, the food typically consists of Bhogichi Bhaji, a mixed vegetable made with winter veggies and slow cooked on fire; served with Bajri Bhakris that are made with sesame. Warm up your tummies this winter with this very healthy, hearty and nutritious dish!
- 200 gm Waalachya Shenga (field beans)
- 1 cup Fresh Chick peas/Bengal gram
- 1 cup tuvar (pigeon peas)
- 1 Carrot
- 1 long green brinjal
- 1 cup matar (green peas)
- 100gm Surti Papdi (flat Beans)
- 3 green chilles
- 1 tbsp Goda Masala
- 2 tablespoons roasted sesame seeds
- Salt to taste.
- For the Tempering: 1tbsp Oil, ½ tsp mustard seeds, ½ tsp cumin seeds, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, a generous pinch of asafetida.
- Clean and Wash all the above mentioned veggies.
- String the Field Beans, remove the beans from it and keep beans separately, and chop the shells finely. Keep Aside.
- Cut the carrot into 2 inch long pieces. Keep Aside.
- Cut Long Brinjal into thick 1 inch long roundels. Keep Aside.
- String and Chop the Flat beans. Keep aside.
- Cut the chillies slitwise.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add mustard and cumin seeds and allow them to crackle.
- Add the turmeric and asafetida and then add the slit green chillies.
- Now add all above vegetables one after the other and stir them with the oil quickly.
- Cover and cook the vegetables over low heat until the vegetables are half cooked.
- Then remove the lid and add salt, sesame seeds and Goda Masala to the vegetables. Mix quickly and place the lid back on.
- Continue cooking the vegetables on very low heat until they are well cooked.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with Bajri Bhakris.