Til Gud Poli, or Sesame Jaggery flatbread is a sweet chapatti that is typically prepared during the festival of Makar Sankranti. Sweet, soft and delicious, it take time to prepare but is nevertheless worth the effort.
Different parts of India prepare this flatbread in different ways. While gram flour is used in the state of Maharashtra, in Karnataka a mix of coconut filling with jaggery is often used. Besides the crunchiness of the roasted sesame seeds and poppy seeds, and earthiness of the jaggery, what makes this special is that the chapatti is very nutritious and can be enjoyed just as is, with a dollop of ghee on the side.
Here is how to make Til Gud Poli.
- 1 cup Roasted Sesame Seeds
- 1 cup Grated Jaggery
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder
- 200 gm Whole wheat flour
- 200 gm All purpose flour
- 3 tbsp Hot Oil
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ cup warm Milk
- Ghee for applying over the poli while roasting
- Dry flour for dusting while rolling the poli
- Roughly grind the Roasted Sesame Seeds in a grinder.
- Add grated jiggery and Cardamom powder to grinded Sesame Seeds and blend it well in a mixer to make the filling.
- To make the dough, Mix whole wheat flour and all purpose flour in a bowl.
- Add salt and hot oil, mix well.
- Add milk to make soft dough. Cover the dough and keep aside for an hour.
- Divide the dough into 12-14 small lemon size balls.
- Make 12-14 small lemon sized ball of the filling.
- Heat a Non-Stick Tava or pan.
- Take 1 dough ball and slightly roll the dough ball to make a small disk.
- Keep 1 filling ball in the centre of the disc and bring the ends together to close the filling in the dough ball.
- Dust and roll the closed ball gently to make a 4-5 inch circle.
- Transfer the poli on the hot tava.
- Roast the poli from both the sides until brown spots appear.
- Apply ghee on both the sides and cook till slightly browned.
- Keep pressing the poli with the back of a ladle while cooking.
- Make all the Polis in the same manner.
- Cool and store in an airtight container for up to 6 days.
- To serve, apply very little ghee and heat for 30 seconds in a microwave or on a tava.
One Comment Add yours
Thanks for the recipe. I love Indian food!